Monthly Archives: April 2013
It’s understandable that if after you read my blog, you are completely confused as to what day it is. My schedule is backwards from most people’s! I’m off from the restaurant for the next three days 🙂 Anyway, today was a training day…
- Breakfast (pre-workout): 2 egg whites, 1 yolk cooked in coconut oil, oatmeal with almond butter stirred into it, and 3 clementines.
- Snack: Post-workout protein shake and a paleo muffin.
- Lunch: Grilled turkey breast with chili flake and buffalo sauce (I was trying to burn my face off…unsuccessfully. My tolerance for spicy food is going up!), mixed greens, half of an avocado. Rolled up brown rice tortilla on the side.
- Snack: chocolate covered almonds.
- Dinner: Large spinach salad with beets, mushrooms, garbanzo beans, hard-boiled egg, and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Mid-Work Snack: “Kind” bar, and an apple
- Late Dinner: Burger (no bun) with mushrooms, onion, jalapenos, lettuce, tomato. And Jameson!
Not sure what’s going on here, but this made me laugh…
Ok, not really…because I had to work…but hey, work can be fun (sometimes)…?
- Breakfast: protein smoothie – protein powder, superfoods powder, banana, almond milk, 2 tbsp. ground flax meal.
- Lunch: BLTA = bacon, L – kale salad, T – smoked trout (canned, from Trader Joe’s YUMMM), avocado…with a brown rice tortilla; applesauce.
- Here’s where it gets ugly: was planning on eating “family meal” (the meal they provide for us at the restaurant before the shift), but apparently they didn’t make enough and it was really tasty so there was NONE LEFT, even though I got there early…so…I had to eat my handful of almonds that I brought for a snack as my “meal.”
- Luckily I have the hookup with the kitchen, so I was able to sneak a piece of carne asada (about 4 oz) with piquillo peppers…delicious, but such a tease because I could have eaten about 4x that amount!
- Got home around 11:30 pm, and here is where it gets weird…I was planning on getting a protein style In N’ Out burger, but my late night dinner plans got screwed up, so I came home and ate scraps (because I had no food in the house!): tuna with roasted red peppers, paleo muffin, an apple, and a Greek yogurt. And a beer. Dinner of champions?
Obviously today wasn’t the greatest day for my nutrition…not my fault! My plans got screwed up! hahaha, oh well…there’s always tomorrow!
Today was the park WOD, but due to an uneven amount of people…I opted to sit out for the sprints and slam balls (I am sooooo upset) and instead, I joined the kickball game! So, today became an “off” day. Which is fine…I’m sure I needed it anyway!
- Wake up meal: protein smoothie (protein powder, supergreens powder, almond milk, banana), black iced coffee.
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs (3 whites, 1 yolk) cooked in coconut oil, black beans, half of an avocado, lots of chili flake and hot sauce! …and 3 clementines.
- Lunch: tuna with 1 tbsp artichoke spread from Trader Joe’s (good replacement for mayo!) and mixed greens…stuffed into a brown rice wrap. And applesauce!
- Snack: greek yogurt.
- Dinner: chicken sausage w/ buffalo sauce, HUGE kale salad with strawberries, sunflower seeds, shredded carrot, cranberries, cashews, etc. (from wholefoods), and a paleo muffin.
- Beer and nachos! Cheat day!
- Chocolate covered almonds.
Today I will leave you with this…luckily nothing like this happened this morning!
While Matt always talks about the approaching Saturday rest/cheat day…Saturday is right in the middle of my “work week.” Fridays are my Mondays (ugghhhh) so I try to eat healthy all weekend and not let my job interfere too much with my nutrition…because working in a restaurant can really do a number on your overall health and diet!
Today I worked out (Thruster/KB WOD…eww!)
- Breakfast: egg whites, oatmeal with a scoop of almond butter stirred into it (not Paleo, but I find eating oatmeal before workouts with either almond or peanut butter gives me lots of energy), and an apple…and coffee (black).
- Post-workout shake (I typically use water, but today I used almond milk).
- Lunch: Turkey cutlets cooked in coconut oil and herbs, sautéed zucchini and okra with chili flake, salt, and pepper, and a brown rice tortilla (I find that these curb my craving for bready carbs).
- Second lunch (kind of like second breakfast for my Lord of the Rings fans): This is usually a big meal for me before I work because I don’t take breaks during my shift, and if I do they are typically only long enough to inhale a protein shake/bar, banana, handful of almonds, etc. Anyway, I went to Jason’s Deli before my shift and TORE UP that salad bar…getting my protein from hard boiled eggs and hummus, and basically eating vegetables until I blacked out. Oh, and I had chocolate pudding…with dark chocolate chips! I always get chocolate pudding while I’m there!
- During my shift snack: in less than 2 minutes, I ate a paleo muffin and a banana.
- Late night snack/dinner/random meal: chicken sausage with buffalo sauce, and beets.
….So I don’t think I ate enough today, but it’s the best I can do on work days.
Ok, today I will leave you with NERD HUMOR (my fav!)…oh and Jared, I know you will love this one! Meme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey guys! This first post will be a little lengthy but I promise in the future they will be short and sweet 🙂 I just wanted to lay out my views and philosophy on health and nutrition and paint you a picture of why I eat the way I do. So here it goes…
- I essentially eat “Paleo” but I’m not strict. I find that this works for me and allows me to keep my energy level and strength where it needs to be right now. That being said, I am strict about a few things: NO gluten, NO dairy (except for Greek yogurt), NO sugar (except for my daily dose of dark chocolate…I find that if I eat this every day, I can go longer between “cheat” days).
- My biggest cheat is booze…not gonna lie! Wine and beer mostly (and apparently whiskey this week, but I digress…)
- I eat for overall health…I am an absolute nut about eating organic, preservative-free, and pesticide-free food. A lot of health problems can be prevented (and cured) with diet and exercise. The quote at the top of my page is FOR REAL! We are provided with all the tools for optimal health and functionality…people get used to aches and pains and think these things are normal because you’re “getting older”…I call BS on this! It’s up to you to take care of the body you have. It’s the only one you’ve got!
- I also have a daily regimen of vitamins, psyllium husk, and apple cider vinegar I take that I’ve been doing for the past 5+ years and I attribute a lot of my success in nutrition and overall well-being to these. No it’s not fun taking straight shots of apple cider vinegar, but hey…we do a lot of things we don’t like, right? Like 150 wall balls, or plucking our eyebrows (my mom always told me “It hurts to be beautiful”…you know what I mean, ladies! And Matt! 🙂
Ok, I could go on for hours so let’s get to the good stuff. Today I got up super early, and I also worked out. I was off from my restaurant job (this plays a big part in how I manage my diet…)
- 4am wake up! yikes! Sometimes it’s hard to eat in the AM but you MUST…I had an apple with almond butter.
- Breakfast: Chicken sausage with spicy buffalo sauce (I am a sauce/salsa fanatic…it’s not all about eating steamed spinach and tuna fish…make your food taste good so that you want to eat it!), handful of almonds, banana.
- Snack: paleo muffin. Here is the link to the base recipe I use http://paleomg.com/zucchini-apple-spice-muffins/. This past week I made “nutella” muffins, keeping the recipe exactly the same, but added a chocolate/hazelnut butter to them. Sometimes I put bananas in them, and I’ve done cranberry-orange and “carrot cake” ones in the past. Matt and Stacey – get ready for some new recipes for Muffin Wednesday!
- Post-workout protein shake. I add a scoop of “Amazing Grass Green Superfood” to my shakes…I get a healthy dose of vitamins and antioxidants with this. And it’s Acai flavored so it’s yummyyyyyyyyy!
- Lunch: turkey cutlets cooked in coconut oil and sprinkled with almond flour and lots of chili flake! (spicy food helps speed up your metabolism…), a gigantic handful of grape tomatoes and torn basil leaves. I typically eat these tossed in evoo (extra virgin olive oil) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Today I inhaled them as is.
- Snack: handful of cashews and some dark chocolate.
- Dinner: big fat “Cowboy” burger from Wholefoods (with jalapeno, onion, and…cheddar cheese! Cheater!!!…no bun, of course!), topped with avocado, buffalo sauce (I have a problem), and a healthy serving of a beet and kale salad.
- And a Greek yogurt for dessert.
So as you can see, I do eat a good amount of food…and I was able to get all my meals in today because I woke up early enough. I know that work and other daily events sometimes get in the way for people. The nights I work are hard because I don’t exactly eat dinner (I rely mostly on snacks during my shift), but I do the best I can do each and every day. I can honestly say this is the BEST I’ve ever felt in my life…even better than when I was a gymnast because I have a healthier outlook on nutrition….and now that I’ve been eating like this for a while, my body CRAVES the good stuff! It’s freakishly awesome! So I’ll leave you with this…I found it amusing 🙂