April 25, 2013…Kabooya!
Hey guys! This first post will be a little lengthy but I promise in the future they will be short and sweet 🙂 I just wanted to lay out my views and philosophy on health and nutrition and paint you a picture of why I eat the way I do. So here it goes…
- I essentially eat “Paleo” but I’m not strict. I find that this works for me and allows me to keep my energy level and strength where it needs to be right now. That being said, I am strict about a few things: NO gluten, NO dairy (except for Greek yogurt), NO sugar (except for my daily dose of dark chocolate…I find that if I eat this every day, I can go longer between “cheat” days).
- My biggest cheat is booze…not gonna lie! Wine and beer mostly (and apparently whiskey this week, but I digress…)
- I eat for overall health…I am an absolute nut about eating organic, preservative-free, and pesticide-free food. A lot of health problems can be prevented (and cured) with diet and exercise. The quote at the top of my page is FOR REAL! We are provided with all the tools for optimal health and functionality…people get used to aches and pains and think these things are normal because you’re “getting older”…I call BS on this! It’s up to you to take care of the body you have. It’s the only one you’ve got!
- I also have a daily regimen of vitamins, psyllium husk, and apple cider vinegar I take that I’ve been doing for the past 5+ years and I attribute a lot of my success in nutrition and overall well-being to these. No it’s not fun taking straight shots of apple cider vinegar, but hey…we do a lot of things we don’t like, right? Like 150 wall balls, or plucking our eyebrows (my mom always told me “It hurts to be beautiful”…you know what I mean, ladies! And Matt! 🙂
Ok, I could go on for hours so let’s get to the good stuff. Today I got up super early, and I also worked out. I was off from my restaurant job (this plays a big part in how I manage my diet…)
- 4am wake up! yikes! Sometimes it’s hard to eat in the AM but you MUST…I had an apple with almond butter.
- Breakfast: Chicken sausage with spicy buffalo sauce (I am a sauce/salsa fanatic…it’s not all about eating steamed spinach and tuna fish…make your food taste good so that you want to eat it!), handful of almonds, banana.
- Snack: paleo muffin. Here is the link to the base recipe I use http://paleomg.com/zucchini-apple-spice-muffins/. This past week I made “nutella” muffins, keeping the recipe exactly the same, but added a chocolate/hazelnut butter to them. Sometimes I put bananas in them, and I’ve done cranberry-orange and “carrot cake” ones in the past. Matt and Stacey – get ready for some new recipes for Muffin Wednesday!
- Post-workout protein shake. I add a scoop of “Amazing Grass Green Superfood” to my shakes…I get a healthy dose of vitamins and antioxidants with this. And it’s Acai flavored so it’s yummyyyyyyyyy!
- Lunch: turkey cutlets cooked in coconut oil and sprinkled with almond flour and lots of chili flake! (spicy food helps speed up your metabolism…), a gigantic handful of grape tomatoes and torn basil leaves. I typically eat these tossed in evoo (extra virgin olive oil) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Today I inhaled them as is.
- Snack: handful of cashews and some dark chocolate.
- Dinner: big fat “Cowboy” burger from Wholefoods (with jalapeno, onion, and…cheddar cheese! Cheater!!!…no bun, of course!), topped with avocado, buffalo sauce (I have a problem), and a healthy serving of a beet and kale salad.
- And a Greek yogurt for dessert.
So as you can see, I do eat a good amount of food…and I was able to get all my meals in today because I woke up early enough. I know that work and other daily events sometimes get in the way for people. The nights I work are hard because I don’t exactly eat dinner (I rely mostly on snacks during my shift), but I do the best I can do each and every day. I can honestly say this is the BEST I’ve ever felt in my life…even better than when I was a gymnast because I have a healthier outlook on nutrition….and now that I’ve been eating like this for a while, my body CRAVES the good stuff! It’s freakishly awesome! So I’ll leave you with this…I found it amusing 🙂