Monthly Archives: June 2013
So I’ve been blogging these past couple of months and I didn’t even realize my posts were NOT being posted on my Facebook page. I always say I’m “bad” with technology, but honestly…it’s just my stubbornness to get with the program! Anyway, before I get into my diet for today, I wanted to talk a little bit about the benefits of apple cider vinegar. People think I’m crazy for taking shots of ACV (that’s how I will be referring to it from now on!) upon rising, empty stomach and all! But that’s the way you have to do it to get the optimal benefits! Ok, you can *technically* mix it with water/juice/lemon/honey…in a number of combinations, but I am a little extreme with everything I do! Regardless of the way you choose to get it down, it is SERIOUSLY beneficial to your health! Imagine, taking an extra 10 seconds out of your day and enduring minor discomfort to do WONDERS for your health and beauty! Whether you are a man or a woman, I’m sure you do at least ONE thing per day that may be time consuming/slightly painful to benefit the way you look and feel. I will call you a liar if you tell me otherwise! 🙂 Ok, so enough of my ranting and raving…here are some things to look forward to when you start your new ACV regimen:
- ACV binds to toxins in the body for easy removal on a daily basis.
- Helps improve blood circulation and purification of the liver.
- Improves immune system response.
- Aids in weight loss by stabilizing blood sugars and curbs appetite!
- Believe it or not, can help with acid reflux and indigestion (what? vinegar helps that?! Incredible!)
- Good topical skin astringent because of it’s INSANE anti-bacterial properties!
- EXCELLENT for your hair and scalp – better than any “clarifying” shampoo on the market!
- Helps with lactic acid build-up after a killer WOD!
Ok, seriously…the list goes on! I’ve been taking ACV every day for the past 6 years. I swear it gives me energy in the morning and makes me feel overall like a SUPERHERO! Ok, maybe that’s because of the crazy socks I wear, but it’s a small thing you can do to drastically improve your health and well-being! What brand of ACV is best? Bragg’s HANDS DOWN is the best!
Here’s a few links to get you started!
Ok…todays’ FOOD LOG!
- Wake-up: ACV of course! Greek yogurt and an apple.
- Brunch: Scrambled eggs with bacon and jalapeno peppers.
- Snack: handful of chocolate covered almonds and cashews.
- Lunch: turkey burger on top of sautéed spinach and arugala, topped with hummus and roasted red peppers. A brown rice tortilla on the side!
- Dinner?: not too shortly after, I had some steak fajitas (just the meat and peppers/onions) at work because I knew I wouldn’t eat again for many hours…probably about a 4oz portion.
- Mid-shift snack: raw fruit/nut trail-mix from Trader Joe’s.
- Late night snack: Dogfishead 90 Minute IPA, chicken sausage with a handful of plantain chips.
I’m getting back on track this week…The past 2 weekends, and a few days in between, I’ve been a little bit relaxed with my diet and my drinking. There’s been many occasions to celebrate and I guess I took advantage of most of them! I tried to keep things in moderation and I also hit the gym hard as usual! But I can tell it’s time to tighten the reins a little bit and get serious about things again. I’m not going to deprive myself completely of the foods I love (i.e. dark chocolate), but I am going to try to be strict with alcohol and the usual suspects (dairy, gluten, etc.) So, here we go!
- Morning snack: apple and almonds.
- Lunch: chicken sausage and zucchini with mustard and super spicy habanero hot sauce from Trader Joe’s! 1/2 cup of apple sauce.
- Snack: handful of pistachios and dried mango pieces.
- Mid-day black iced coffee with a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Dinner: turkey burger with an arugala salad (cherry tomatoes, roasted red peppers, Goddess Dressing from Trader Joe’s). Brown rice tortilla.
- Mid-shift snack: protein shake (protein powder, supergreens powder, water).
- End of shift snack: a piece of crispy pig skin!
- Late night dinner: can of tuna with artichoke spread from Trader Joe’s, paleo muffin.
So I came across a food article that discusses common food “myths.” It basically debunks previous ways of thinking about certain foods and dietary restrictions and really sheds some light on the proper way to eat! I like when they talk about sodium because I’m a salty-snack kind of girl and I definitely feel guilty at times for eating “too much salt…” but I see now that it’s not necessarily the case! 🙂 http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/busted-the-truth-behind-10-food-myths.html (and yes, I took this from Bodybuilding.com…Do you even lift, bro?)
- Pre-workout: paleo muffin, apple.
- Post-workout shake: protein powder, supergreens powder, water.
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs (1 yolk, 4 whites) with jalapeno and tomato, 1 banana.
- Snack: dried apple rings from Trader Joe’s.
- Dinner: Turkey burger topped with hummus, sautéed broccoli with garlic, chili flake, seasame seeds.
- Mid-work snack: handful of “raw trail mix” from Trader Joe’s.
- Late night snack: 2 hard-boiled egg whites with hummus.
- 4am wake up: apple, greek yogurt.
- Breakfast: chicken sausage, handful of almonds.
- Post-workout shake.
- Second breakfast: 3 egg whites scrambled with salsa, 1/2 an avocado, and 2 pieces of toasted rice bread…I’d like to take a moment to mention that I cook *most* things in coconut oil. This oil is extremely beneficial to your health! It contains *good* saturated fats that your body needs and it doesn’t taste half bad either! Here is a great little article on the benefits of this oil: http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/nutrition+tips/10+facts+about+coconut+oil,18271
- Snack: “superfoods salad” from Wholefoods (kale, brussel sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, cashews, blueberries, sunflower seeds, raisins, soy beans, etc.); black iced coffee.
- Second snack: paleo muffin.
- Dinner: all you can eat sushi…did my best to not consume tempora and large amounts of rice. I think I did a pretty good job!
- Snack: handful of dark chocolate chips 🙂
Hey look at that! I have ANOTHER Sunday off…what’s up with that by the way? Today is a *true* rest day…my usual “rest day” from working out falls on a Friday, which happens to be my Monday for work, and on Tuesday (which is my Saturday), I don’t actually rest…I LIFT! Did you understand ANY of that? Are you thoroughly confused now? Anyway, it’s nice to be reminded of what a TRUE rest day is all about…aka polishing of the rest of the newest episodes of Arrested Development. As far as rest days go, I haven’t taken enough of them in the past few months and I will be doing my best to work them into my schedule! Now…on to the food!
- Wake-up: apple.
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs (1 yolk, 3 whites) with freshly made salsa, 1/2 an avocado, and a grilled jalapeno (HOT DAMN!)
- Snack: Paleo muffin and an iced coffee (splash of almond milk).
- Second snack: handful of almonds.
- Late lunch: turkey burger topped with hummus and wilted arugala; an orange and a handful of plantain chips.
- Dinner: chicken sausage with buffalo sauce, roasted tomatoes, kale salad with blueberries, almonds, and shaved coconut. 2 glasses of Chenin Blanc.
- Snack: Chocolate covered almonds!
Today was a training day…I think I could have eaten another meal, but I was tired and had to get to bed early.
- Pre-workout: chicken sausage and cantaloupe.
- Post-workout: protein shake (protein powder, supergreens, almond milk).
- Lunch: can of tuna with 1/2 an avocado (yayyyyyy!) seasoned with garlic powder, chili flake, salt, pepper. Handful of cherries.
- Dinner: turkey burger topped with hummus, 1/2 sweet potato, kale and peach salad with balsamic dressing.
- Snack: handful of dried apples and plantain chips. And a piece of dark chocolate of course!
This fish must lift!
Today is another one of those Monday/Fridays…I randomly had yesterday off and I absolutely needed it after the insanity of Saturday night! Today was a training day, as well as a 4am wake up. The Mighty Matticorn and I switched shifts this week so I get to sleep in on Wednesday woohoo!
- 4am wake up: Greek yogurt with honey and sunflower seeds.
- Snack: apple and almonds.
- Pre-workout: chicken sausage and 1/2 a sweet potato.
- Post-workout: protein shake (protein powder, supergreens powder, water).
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs with jalapeno, arugala, zucchini; a slice of toasted brown rice bread; handful of cherries.
- Snack: chocolate covered almonds and espresso beans.
- Late lunch: turkey burger topped with hummus, sautéed broccoli with garlic, seasame seeds, and chili flake.
- Mid-work snack: Lara bar.
- Late dinner: grilled chicken, broccoli, 2 tbsp. peanut butter. 1 Dogfishead 90 min. IPA.
So I came across this today and I’m bummed because I have 3 avocados that are all unripe so I didn’t get to have my “one avocado per day”…These babies are no joke!
So I’ll probably be blogging every other day from now on…I’ve been pretty busy lately with work and keeping up with my new lifting regimen, and also doing other things like handstands on the back of F-16 fighter jets :::siiigggghhh::: HAHA JK (reference my Facebook page if you don’t know what I’m talking about!)…I have been busy and I’m loving my new workout program. It’s tough, but I feel like I am getting stronger and it’s been a blast working on Olympic lifting 5 days a week. I’ve added sweet potatoes to my diet, as well as eating more brown rice bread and upping my protein intake. Here’s what it looked like today:
- Pre-workout: can of smoked trout (I know I’m weird) and 1/2 of a sweet potato.
- Post-workout: protein powder, supergreens powder, water.
- Brunch: salmon burger with brown rice bread “buns”, topped with arugala, and spicy mustard. A healthy serving of applesauce.
- Dinner: spinach salad with garbanzo beans, tomatoes, feta cheese, peppers, chicken/pork sausage. And a banana.
- Mid-Work snack: Lara bar.
- Late snack: chicken sausage, paleo muffin, dark chocolate bar.
This was a rough shift to work. I did heavy back squats on top of Olympic lifting, and then worked a 9 hour shift on a BUSY Saturday night in the Cosmopolitain…my legs were on fire! And my patience was definitely tested. I dealt with large parties of mostly drunk ladies all night, and by the 25th split check and 3+ credit cards that were declined, I just wanted to yell DO YOU EVEN LIFT in each of their faces! 🙂 Let’s hope I don’t have to do that again any time soon!